Understanding divorce law and how it applies to your personal situation can be difficult. However, if you and your spouse are ending your marriage, there are several things you can do to make sure that divorce law works in your favor and that you are able to go through the process as quickly and seamlessly as possible. These include the following:
- Even though it may be difficult, try to keep a constant line of communication open with your future ex-spouse. Failing to communicate can prolong matters relating to child custody, child support, and property division.
- Honestly disclose all of your property and assets. If you fail to do this, you could hurt your chances of receiving a settlement, and you may even have to go through additional legal proceedings.
- Try not to complicate things during child custody proceedings. Not only will this make things harder for your children, but it may harm your chances of being awarded joint or sole custody.
- Avoid selling any major assets while divorce proceedings are occurring. This may prolong the proceedings surrounding your divorce and may be viewed negatively by the court.
- Try to wait until a final divorce agreement has been reached to get married again.
Most importantly, make sure that you work with a divorce lawyer throughout the duration of any divorce-related proceedings. At W. Sloan Goforth, Attorney at Law, my knowledge of divorce law is extensive, and I am prepared to make sure that the divorce process goes as smoothly as possible for you.